|Before-Seller's Pic, not mine!|
This big guy is a throwback to the 70's and all of it's fabulousness...back then. Today the style is more than dated and just plain...HEAVY in every sense of the word! I found this on CL and negotiated for two days to pick it up! I had to let the lady know I couldn't make it the first day and desperately hoped it would still be available the following day. I ended up dragging one of my main moving guy helpers with me to pick it up and we had to get it out of a tiny attic with a weird miniature door...I certainly owe him a beer or two! At 6 feet long and weighing a TON it was definitely a challenge to maneuver! This pic is not the best, but it's the one the owner posted and OF COURSE I remembered to take a picture of it AFTER I started painting it!
|Base Grey Color|
|Side A is with the mainly white highlighting. Side B is some VERY light drybrushing.|
Now to the cool part! I used my brand new American Paint Company mica powders and mixed them into some leftover clear wax. I used tiny bits of Silver, Pewter and Black mica powders and they gave the wax this AH-mazing look!
here to APCs website. They have some pretty amazing tutorials.
So, because I used CeCe Caldwells paints that contain a mix of chalks, clay and minerals, the wax initially has a darkening effect. Don't let that freak you out too much, it will lighten as it dries. The mica/wax mix will give it more depth too, and in just the right light it has the loveliest sheen. It doesn't sparkle and glitter as you might think, I wasn't personally going for the bedazzled look...but that could really work for some pieces!
I decided to leave the frame in grey and also use the mica/wax mix on it. It darkened it just enough.
The hardware was my next battle..er, challenge.
It was waaaay too brassy. What to do? Well, with some help from some fabulous fellow painters (specifically Patrick Meyer from ReLux Vintage, who is incredibly talented-check him out!) I decided to go for a reverse color mix from the drawers. This time the white was the base and the grey was the distressed topcoat. I also used the mica/wax mix on these and they turned out in an EPIC kind of way.
Now for the final reveal...trumpets please!
Well, ladies and gents I hope you liked my latest project makeover! It sold within about 15 minutes of me posting it which is almost a record, beaten only by "Isabella".
I hope this holiday season is a wonderful one for you and yours and please, don't forget the troops who are deployed forward away from their families and homes this Christmas and especially those who have sacrificed everything. Love to all, Claudia.